Óscar Arístides de la Renta Fiallo (July 22, 1932 – October 20, 2014) was a Dominican fashion designer. Born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, De la Renta was trained by Cristóbal Balenciaga and Antonio del Castillo, he became internationally known in the 1960s as one of the couturiers to dress Jacqueline Kennedy. An award-winning designer, he worked for Lanvin and Balmain; his eponymous fashion house continues to dress leading figures, from film stars to royalty, into the 2010s. De la Renta is particularly known for his red carpet gowns and evening wear.
At the age of 18, he left the Dominican Republic to study in Spain, where he studied painting at the Academy of San Fernando in Madrid, Spain. He quickly became interested in the world of fashion design and began sketching for leading Spanish fashion houses, which soon led to an apprenticeship with Spain’s most renowned couturier, Cristóbal Balenciaga. He considers Cristóbal Balenciaga his mentor. Later, de la Renta left Spain to join Antonio del Castillo as a couture assistant at Lanvin in Paris.
In 1963, de la Renta turned to Diana Vreeland, the editor-in-chief of Vogue for advice, saying that what he really wanted was to "get into ready to wear, because that’s where the money is". Vreeland replied, “Then go to Arden because you will make your reputation faster. She is not a designer, so she will promote you. At the other place, you will always be eclipsed by the name of Dior.” De la Renta proceeded to work for Arden for two years before he in 1965 went to work for Jane Derby and launched his own label. When Derby died in August 1965 Oscar de la Renta took over the label. From 1993 to 2002, Oscar de la Renta designed the haute couture collection for the house of Balmain, becoming the first Dominican to design for a French couture house. In 2006, the Oscar de la Renta label diversified into bridal wear.
Oscar de la Renta died on October 20, 2014 at his home in Kent, Connecticut at the age of 82, he had been diagnosed with cancer in 2006. A year before, at the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), Executive Director Fern Mallis called him “The Sultan of Suave.” At that event, he spoke of his cancer, saying, "Yes, I had cancer. Right now, I am totally clean. The only realities in life are that you are born, and that you die. We always think we are going to live forever. The dying aspect we will never accept. The one thing about having this kind of warning is how you appreciate every single day of life."
(Source: fashion-runways, via chroniclesofrenee)
She’s saying she’s not a feminist because it discriminates and here you are literally discriminating her for not being a feminist. Thanks for being a living example of why it is an unnecessary discriminating movement.
(Source: coolbabydeer, via check-your-privilege-feminists)
Person: I’m a woman and I don’t need feminism
What she’s actually saying:
- My life is perfectly okay and I don’t really care what other women go through
- I think feminists are just whiny and can’t take jokes that perpetuate harmful stereotypes
- I believe that people are just obsessed with political correctness
- I am blind to the fact that there are still problems faced by women
- I have forgotten that feminism gave women rights such as the right to vote
- I have no idea that feminism is an egalitarian movement that fights for everyone’s rights regardless of sex, gender, sexuality, race, religion, nationality, and ethnicity but mostly focuses on women’s rights.
- I am more concerned about semantics rather than human rights
- I can’t distinguish between real feminists and shitty people who call themselves feminists
- I still believe in the false notion that feminism is about hating men
- I actually don’t understand what feminism is
Person: I’m a woman and I don’t need feminism
What she’s actually saying:
- I don’t want to be associated with a hateful movement that’s completely been derailed by radicals
- I know for a fact that most feminists are just whiny and can’t take any jokes whatsoever without turning it into an issue. (i.e. calling a brat like Justin Bieber a whiny girl).
- Feminists ARE obsessed with political correctness
- I am NOT blind to the fact that there are still problems faced by women, but I also acknowledge that men also face problems in society that feminism continually ignores or disregards
- I will not allow third wave modern feminists to take credit for the accomplishments of women in the past in order to continue to guilt trip me into joining their movement.
- I know damn well and can back up the fact that feminism is not an egalitarian movement that fights for everyone’s rights regardless of sex, gender, sexuality, race, religion, nationality, and ethnicity.
- I am not so much concerned with semantics as I am with the fact that most feminists literally do not give a shit about women facing actual oppression.
- I can’t distinguish between real feminists and shitty people who call themselves feminists because there literally is no distinguishment anymore.
- I still believe in the notion that feminism is about hating men because feminists have proven time and time again that feminism is about hating men.
- I have done my research and actually do know what feminism is, and I do not want to be a part of it.
- I can see how extremely hypocritical and militant feminists have become to the point where they’re now shaming women for not choosing the way they want them to.
- I think feminists need to grow the hell up and deal with their problems instead of ignoring them and pretending that feminism has not become a seriously flawed movement.
Feminist: Women who reject feminism are ignorant
What she means:
- I am either not aware or choosing to ignore the serious flaws in feminism that have caused women to not want to associate with the movement any longer
- I am projecting my insecurity about the flaws of feminism onto other women
- I am standing on the shoulders of women who have actually fought for women’s rights and taking credit on their behalf, despite my agenda being very different from theirs
- I am a bully who uses manipulative tactics to guilt trip women into staying, very similar to the way many abusive relationships play out
- I do not want women to actually think for themselves and make their own choices about who and what they want to associate with
Just filled out my health insurance forms!
yeah!!! fucking around with health insurance forms!!!!
I hate when people complain about “oh health forms are stupid they want my biological sex instead of my gender!!!!” or “they only have male or female!!!”
There’s a reason for that, you dumb fucks, and they’re referring to biological sex
Different health risks are present in different sexes, and whatever gender is in your head does not change the fact that if you were born female, you have a higher risk for certain cancers and osteoporosis, and if you were born male you have a higher risk for heart disease and often a shorter lifespan than a female.
In other words, your biological sex is an important factor in health and health insurance, and your special snowflake status doesn’t change that.
Coulda said it nicer but it’s true; it’s about health.
No. There gets a point where nice doesn’t work. There’s too many stupid ass angsty teens on here that are gonna get themselves seriously hurt or sick because they wanna be a special fucking snowflake. Lemme tell you a thing. Doctors don’t give a flying fuck what you identify as. All they want to know is do you have two X chromosomes or an XY? Because cancer and lupus and certain medicines don’t give a flying fuck what pronouns you use. This is about your fucking LIFE. stop being angsty for TWELVE SECONDS because when you’re in an ambulance or going into cardiac arrest or whatever the situation may be, it’s ESSENTIAL that you get your head out of your ass long enough to tell them your BIOLOGICAL SEX that you were BORN WITH. It literally may save your life.
This is so important.
when girls wear ‘boy clothes’ shes seen as ‘cool’ or ‘hipster’
but as soon as a guy wears ‘girls clothes’ he gets called gay, or fag
if you dont think thats fucked up what is wrong with you?
because society thinks its degrading to be a woman
Where if a double standard favours men, women are the victims and we need feminism
If a double standard favours women, women are the victims and we need feminism
reblog and make a wish!
this was removed from tumbrl due to “violating one or more of Tumblr’s Community Guidelines”, but since my wish came true the first time, I’m putting it back. :)
OH MY FUCKING GOD, IT’S BACK ON MY DASH.
THIS SHIT WORKS OKAY, I AM DEAD SERIOUS.
The last time I saw this on my dash, I didn’t think it would happen, so jokingly I wished I could go to a fun. concert.
AND GUESS WHAT, I WENT TO A FUCKING FUN. CONCERT.
THIS SHIT WORKS, TRY IT.
I SAW THIS ON MY DASH THE OTHER DAY AND THOUGHT “ITS WORTH A TRY” SO I WISHED I COULD GET A 3DS
LITERALLY LIKE 4 DAYS LATER MY DAD SENT ME A PICTURE OF THE 3DS XL HE BOUGHT FOR ME WHILE I WAS AT SCHOOL
IM STILL FREAKING OUT ABOUT THIS
holy fuck, I didn’t expect this to work, I was like psh, whatever it’s just a quick reblog, but I wished my Dad would actually respond back to me AND HE FUCKING DID A FEW DAYS LATER, I GOT A FUCKING TEXT FROM MY DAD TODAY WHO HASN’T SPOKEN OR RESPONDED TO ME IN MONTHS HOLY FUCK WHAT IS THIS MAGIC IT WORKS.
I WANTED TO SEE MY BOYFRIEND AND I DIDN’T THINK I’D GET DAYS OFF BUT THIS WEEKEND I’M HEADING UP THERE??? THIS IS CRAZY SHIT
SO LIKE I JOKINGLY WISHED FOR MY OWN LEN KAGAMINE AND THEN LIKE A WEEK LATER I GOT A LEN NENDOROID??? H ELP
WTF OKAY SO THIS SHOT ACTUALLY WORKS BECAUSE WHEN I WISHED, I HAD WISHED MY CRUSH WOULD LIKE ME BACK AND GUESS WHAT? I HAVE A BOYFRIEND NOW. WHAT THE HELLLLL?????
ok I’ve said this before but IM DOING IT AGAIN THE FIRST TIME I SAW THIS, MY WISH DID COME TRUE SO I REBLOGED AGAIN AND SAID IT IN THE TAGS BUT THEN I WISHED FOR SMTH ELSE AND IT LITERALLY LITERALLY HAPPENED LIKE A COUPLE DAYS LATER WHAT THE HELL SO NOW IM WRITING THIS HERE FOR YOU BC I DONT BELIEVE IN THIS CRAP BUT STILL IT’S AN AWFULLY BIG COINCIDENCE
THE BOY I FELL I LOVE WITH LEFT TO TRAVEL THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD AND HAS BEEN GONE NOW FOR 3 MONTHS. WE HAVENT SPOKEN SINCE BECAUSE I DIDNT WANT TO MAKE HIM FEEL TRAPPED TO ME AND NOT ENJOY HIS TIME SO I WAITED FOR HIM TO CONTACT ME FIRST. I SAW THIS ON A PARTICULARLY LOW DAY WHEN I WAS MISSING HIM SO MUCH I CRIED FROM THE PAIN, GUYS I REALLY LOVE HIM, SO I THOUGHT MEH WHAT THE FUCK, AND WISHED HE WOULD JUST LET ME KNOW HE WAS OKAY.
HE FUCKING CALLED ME 20 MINUTES LATER
20 FUCKNG. MINUTES. LATER.
GOOD THINGS DO HAPPEN. AND ITS IN THIS POST.
I wish for someone to leave something in my ask.
OKAY SO I ASKED FOR A HEDGEHOG AND NOW GUESS WHO HAS A PET HEDGEHOG
I WISHED FOR SNK MERCH THE FIRST TIME. I GOT A JACKET.
I WISHED FOR MY GIRLFRIEND THE SECOND TIME. I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND.
THIS WORKs I WISHED I WAS MOVING TO NORTH CAROLINA AND GUESS WHAT GUYS IM MOVING TO NC IN AUGUST I PROMISE U IM NOT LYING
guys ok ur probably thinking that this is all just bs right? WELL I THOUGHT SO TOO BUT I WISHED MY CRUSH WOULD CHAT ME AND HE DID AND IM FREAKING OUT not even kidding i swear on my grampas grave this works
I love this it always works for me yey thank u shooting star :’)
You can tell who’s oppressed by what they are fighting for.
Women in other parts of the world fight to have an education, to be able to walk in the streets and not be stoned to death. They fight to be able to marry who they want. They fight to be able to live a healthy life.
Women in the western world “fight” to take a song off the radio, “fight” to not have to shave their legs. “Fight” to silence anyone who has a differing opinion.
Just a thought.
(Source: , via check-your-privilege-feminists)
19 #WhyIStayed tweets everyone needs to see
While many cheered the NFL’s move to (finally) punish Rice’s vicious behavior, too many media outlets immediately fell into a tired pattern of victim blaming.
Writer Beverly Gooden had heard enough. “I was watching the responses to the TMZ on my timeline, and I noticed a trend. People were asking ‘why did she marry him?’ and ‘why didn’t she leave him,’” Gooden told Mic. “When I saw those tweets, my first reaction was shame. The same shame that I felt back when I was in a violent marriage. It’s a sort of guilt that would make me crawl into a shell and remain silent. But today, for a reason I can’t explain, I’d had enough. I knew I had an answer to everyone’s question of why victims of violence stay. I can’t speak for Janay Rice, I can only speak for me.”
Gooden decided to change the conversation. | Follow micdotcom
Can you link to a credible source about why the patriarchy exists? (No tumblr posts, no jezebel, like a legit peer reviewed research article by sociologists)
are you blind? it’s your television, your favourite tv shows, your movies, your books, your fucking history text books. how hard is it? oh and also the fact that I’ve been trying to get this shit across that men are upset because they have to live up to these “manly” standards. Where are those standards coming form? Oh yeah! the patriarchy. men. men. men men men men men and men. we feminsts DO NOT like that. fuck.
and here. first thing I found. fuck you learn that patriarchy exists in school. did you go to school? no? clearly not.
>link to feminist website
So no, she can’t.
But I can:
"Patriarchy is a multidimensional condition of power and status. Whyte’s 1978 comprehensive study examined 52 indicators of patriarchy, which corresponded to 10 relatively independent dimensions. The ten dimensions are:
- lack of property control by women
- lack of power of women in kinship contexts
- low value placed on the lives of women
- low value placed on the labor of women
- lack of domestic authority of women
- absence of ritualized female solidarity
- absence of control over women’s marital and sexual lives
- absence of ritualized fear of women
- lack of male-female joint participation in warfare, work, and community decision making
- lack of women’s indirect influence on decision making
There are undeniably societies in the world today that are patriarchies. A place like Saudi Arabia comes to mind as well as institutions like the Catholic Church in which women are not entirely excluded (i.e., nuns) but are kept from positions of real power (i.e., the priesthood and the papacy).
However, at least in the United States…
- women can (easily) control property: they can rent apartments, buy a house or land, own a business, and inherit and/or will their property to others.
- there are plenty of “housewives”/stay-at-home mothers, but women are typically expected to find a job and work for a living in the same way that men are, and there is no wage gap between male and female workers.
- though it’s hard to say given that domestic violence stories focus almost solely on male-on-female violence, I might argue that women often have more domestic authority than men; for example, they have more control of their family’s disposable income and are far more likely to get custody of their children in case of a divorce.
- "absence of ritualized female solidarity" - well, I think we know that’s not applicable to the US, if Tumblr is any indication.
- aside from states that have made abortion difficult to obtain, women control their own bodies and sexuality, and aside from where it is an issue of LGBT+ equality, women have the power to marry (and divorce) whom they choose, when they choose.
- Many industries (and certainly most offices that I’ve seen) are relatively evenly balanced between men and women. As for “community decision making,” women are more likely to vote than men, so while it would be nice to have more women running for office, women nevertheless have more of a say in who gets elected.
I realize I didn’t refute or address all ten points. Ultimately,however, women have the choice to wear the kinds of clothes they like; vote; pursue almost any career; drive a car; live where and with whom they want to; have children (or not); get married (or not); cut their hair; have sex with whom they choose, etc. While many people may criticize them for making what they deem “incorrect” or “inappropriate” choices, no patriarch or patriarchal authority is going to punish women for making them.
There is no patriarchy.
I like it how she doesn’t provide a counter argument, not thay it matters considering he initial argument is “are you blind? look around!" which I believe refers mostly to sexualization? If that’s the case, that would be funny considering I remember reading she goes on a webcame site and shows herself naked for money, or used to. Let alone the bunch of half naked pictures of her in her blog talking about how amazing her boobs are.
Perfect response to this would have consisted of “why yes, yes, I am blind.”